Sunday, October 25, 2009

OCL Tech Challenge Thing #6

I tried using the Power Search features. I've just finished putting together a PowerPoint for Beginners class for use at the Brick Branch of the Ocean County Library System and I'm working on the final touches for an Excel for Beginners class. I wanted to see what I could find on Excel in ppt. I found a presentation with great content about Excel but which broke all of the rules for use of color and background that I had emphasized in my PPT presentation! How ironic. But the Excel presentation is worth knowing about as an example I can show to folks in the PowerPoint class of how badly selecting a busy background and colors that are not visible to color-blind folks and which are only too visible to everybody else can be. (Whew - need to edit that sentence! But you know what I mean.)

It seems to me that Power Search is so simple, I'm surprised everyone doesn't know how to use it. I think librarians would find it to be particularly effective if they were teaching a Google class to middle school or high school students - that's the audience I think would find this most valuable!

No comments:

Post a Comment